As our region wakes up from a long winter, we thought the timing was right to talk about a few of the organizations that enrich our community and how Vanderwell supports them. These groups include schools, sports leagues, service clubs, food banks, and fire halls.
Anyone who knows Vanderwell understands making a quality product that others want is key to us staying in business and keeping people employed. But we have always strived to be more. The Brand Promise we developed last year reflects our combined business-community focus:
“Producing the highest-quality, premium lumber that transforms houses into beautiful homes, while partnering with our employees and communities to build meaningful and quality lives.”
We are proud of the partnerships we have formed with the many different organizations over the years that make our region such a strong and caring community. Here are just a few:
- One of our first major capital projects was in the mid-90s with a donation to build Vanderwell Heritage Place, a senior’s supportive living site that continues operating today.
- We supplied much of the crushed gravel for the Allaire Walking Trails, part of the Trans-Canada Trail System.
- We regularly donate lumber for many worthwhile projects in our community. Several secondary schools – Slave Lake Koinonia Christian School, Roland Michener Secondary School & Kinuso School – have received continuing lumber donations for their building and industrial education classes.
- Last year, critical services, such as the Lesser Slave Lake Regional Fire and Jarvie Fire Hall, received lumber for their construction projects.
- In 2021, we supported the Slave Lake Native Friendship Centre’s Holiday Hamper and Santa’s Anonymous programs, with employees donating toys, and we made financial donations to Christmas Hampers for Elders and other community hamper, toy and wellness programs.
- Given our long winters, hockey is a big part of our lives. In March 2022, we supported the Slave Lake Thunder U18 Provincial Championship Tournament as a Silver Package Sponsor. We also made donations to two other divisions of Slave Lake Minor Hockey, in addition to the Slave Lake Icedogs, a Junior hockey team.
- We recognize the different service groups that support our community throughout the year. Every summer Vanderwell is the major sponsor of the Slave Lake Chamber of Commerce Riverboat Daze Fireworks. We also support the Rotary Club Color Fun Run held every May.
- And last, on our list, we want to acknowledge the amazing work of the Slave Lake Native Friendship Centre, which runs the Food Bank. While we also supported this organization during the Christmas season (see above), their work year-round in operating the Food Bank deserves special mention.
We look forward to continuing our partnerships with these special organizations. Their work and commitment make our community a great place to live, work and play.
In closing, we would like to acknowledge that this April is a special month for many faiths and pass on our best wishes from the Vanderwell family to everyone who is celebrating Easter or Passover!